Don’t let those disgustingly sugary Thanksgiving-day dishes fool you. Sweet potatoes are a nutritional powerhouse, ideal whether you’re trying to cut carbs and lose weight—or bulk up and build muscle. What, exactly, are these fiber-rich root vegetables packing?
- Carotenoids: plant compounds that squelch cell damage caused by everyday living—and challenging workouts.
- Vitamin E: an antioxidant that may protect against heart disease.
- Potassium: a mineral necessary for muscle contraction, nerve transmission, bone health, water balance, and normal blood pressure. (It’s got more than bananas, believe it or not.)
- Copper: it assists in the production of collagen, which is responsible for keeping muscles healthy and skin taut.
- Quercetin: research shoes this potent phytonutrient may help you breathe easier by warding off allergies, hay fever, and asthma.