Asian Chicken Salad in Lettuce Cups
PREP TIME: 20 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME: 35 MINUTES
1/4 C smooth peanut butter
5 Tbsp light coconut milk
2 tsp unseasoned rice vinegar
2 tsp honey
1 tsp Sriracha or hot sauce
3 Tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 C roasted unsalted peanuts
1 Tbsp canola oil
1 red bell pepper, chopped (about 1 1/4 c)
1/2 large red onion, chopped (about 3/4 c)
1 1/2 lbs ground chicken breast
2 fresh jalapenos, seeded and chopped (about 1/3 c)
2 Tbsp peeled and chopped fresh ginger (2″ piece)
2 c shredded carrot
Juice of 2 limes (about 1/4 c)
1/2 c chopped cilantro
2 small heads Bibb lettuce, stem ends trimmed, leaves separated
COMBINE the peanut butter, coconut milk, vinegar, honey, Sriracha, and 1 tablespoon of the soy sauce in a small bowl. Finely chop 1/4 cup of the peanuts and stir into the sauce. Coarsely chop the remaining peanuts for filling.
HEAT the oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat.
- Add the bell pepper and onion and cook, stirring frequently, until lightly browned, about 7 minutes.
- Add the chicken, jalapenos, and ginger and cook, crumbling the chicken as you stir, until it is no longer pink, about 6 minutes.
- Add the carrot, lime juice, and the remaining 2 tablespoons soy sauce.
- Cook until the carrot is tender and the liquid is reduced by about half, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in the cilantro and the coarsely chopped peanuts.
- Remove from the heat.
- DIVIDE the lettuce leaves and chicken mixture among 4 plates.
- Serve with the sauce.